We all have heard about hair transplant, but how many of us actually know what it is?
A Hair Transplant is a surgical procedure in which a plastic or a dermatological surgeon moves hair to a bald area of the head. Hair follicles are removed from the “donor site” to a bald or balding part of the body known as the “recipient site”. Hair transplants usually occur in a medical office under local anesthesia.
The cost of hair transplants in India starts at an average of Rs. 60,000 while the minimum cost in the US is approximately $1550. Thus, you can save around 70-75% on the cost of the surgery simply by getting it done in India.
Hair transplants are not just for men!
It is well known that hair transplants are typically linked to men who are seeking a solution for male-pattern hair loss. However, lately, the number of women looking to the procedure has been on the rise.
The hair transplant procedure for women doesn’t really vary from that of men. However, the way women lose hair is different from that of men. In women, it is often found to be thinning of hair from the beginning which spreads to the nearby parts of the scalp. The fact that there is no permanent donor region for women when it comes to scalp hair is what makes hair transplant procedures for women far more difficult and challenging than that for men. On the other hand, for men, there will always be a donor region regardless of the extent of hair loss.
The two techniques that are used to obtain follicles for hair transplantation are: FUT and FUE.
In a Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT),
- The surgeon uses a scalpel to cut out a strip of the scalp skin from the back of the head. This incision is typically several inches long.
- This is then closed with stiches.
- With the help of a magnifying lens and a sharp surgical knife, the surgeon then separates the removed portion of the scalp into smaller sections. After the implantation, these sections will help in achieving a natural looking hair growth.
In a Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE),
- The surgeon makes small holes with the help of a blade or a needle, in the area of the scalp that’s receiving the transplant. They then gently place hairs in these holes.
- During just the first session of the treatment, usually about hundreds or thousands of hairs are transplanted.
- The graft, gauze or bandages will then be covering your scalp for the next few days.
FUE is the current gold standard of hair transplant as it is less invasive than traditional hair transplants and leaves no linear scar and requires no stitches.
A hair transplant session may take up to 5 hours or even more. The stitches are normally removed 10 days after surgery. Approximately three to four sessions are needed for the expected results. Sessions occur several months apart for the transplant to fully be able to heal.
After the hair transplant, your scalp may be sore and you might have to take certain medications like antibiotics, pain medications or anti-inflammatory medications (as consulted by your doctor) following the hair transplant procedure.
It’s usual for the transplanted hair to fall out two to three weeks after the procedure. This is okay because it does nothing but makes way for new hair growth. The average person sees some amount of new hair growth within 8-12 months of the procedure.
Hair Transplant has more benefits than you know!
- A hair transplant surgery is a permanent and reliable solution for people suffering from balding patches or severe hair loss. If you want a long-term solution for your baldness, then a hair transplant is the best choice for you.
- Hair Transplant procedures have a high success rate; once the treatment is done, the affected areas will never have hair that will fall out.
- Another advantage of this treatment is that it is minimal maintenance after surgery for the affected areas. The transplanted hair works exactly like your naturally grown hair, so you don’t need any special shampoos or chemicals to maintain its density.
- Last but not the least, hair transplant surgery helps to bring a person’s confidence back. One’s appearance may also look younger post treatment and people can be more confident and open about new social experiences.
Thus, hair transplant is indeed a successful treatment and offers the best results. The only thing you must remember is to do your homework before stepping into any clinic and select an experienced surgeon who you can trust with your desired results!